UK shoppers rely increasingly on debit and credit cards rather than cash for day-to-day purchases. At the grocer, the chemist or the restaurant, paying with a card has become the preferred payment method.
This means that card terminals are now required hardware for doing business, every bit as necessary as cash registers. But in some sectors a portable terminal is not enough: for some restaurants, market and outdoor traders, and taxi and delivery drivers, only a mobile card terminal can do the job.
Mobile terminals for an increasingly mobile business world
Mobile card terminals are to cash registers what mobile phones are to fixed lines: they liberate users to do business wherever they happen to be. All that’s needed is a mobile phone network.
- Mobile terminals allow customers to pay by card no matter where you’re selling something
- If you have no landline access, a mobile terminal will still permit you to accept card payments
- Using a mobile terminal will eliminate the need to keep large amounts of cash on hand
- Mobile terminals can also be used to accept card payments over the phone
What should you look for in a mobile card terminal?
- Transaction security – a chip-and-PIN terminal drastically reduces your business’s exposure to credit card fraud from counterfeit or stolen cards
- Flexibility – be sure your terminal accepts payments from all major card providers and that it is compatible with all major acquiring banks
- Readability –operators must be able to reliably input transaction data even in a dark restaurant or at a sun-drenched seaside café
- Transaction capacity – insist on a terminal that can process and store up to 1,000 transactions per month without slowing down or jamming up
- Ease of use – it’s important to ensure that both operators and customers can easily hold and manipulate the device
- Battery life – a long-lasting, fast-recharging battery pack will save you much trouble
- Printing capacity – time-pressed diners or customers will appreciate your ability to generate their receipt in a flash, and your manager will thank you for a legible end-of-day report
- Durability –even careful operators occasionally lose their grip and drop the terminal!